Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Green Mountain State

I'm now in the state of Vermont, where I've gotten the chance to visit some friends in the town of Sharon. The last time I was here was last June, when I came up from a sailing trip in Florida for a three day visit and ended up staying for almost a month. The very next day after I arrived I got a job installing PV Solar Panels on a farm with my friend Asa and so I was employed in the energy department. It was actually a fantastic time and between work we went on hikes in the hills, swam in the White River and enjoyed early summer in New England.

This time I will only be here for a few more days and then will continue on my travels. After my stay on Prudence Island, I spent another day in Bristol and took the bus up to Providence. There I met with an old family friend and rode with her to Wheaton, a college just outside of Boston. We visited for a while, had dinner at a Japanese place where the cook throws vegetables at the diners, and drove up to Vermont.

The next day we heard about the bombing at the Boston marathon. While this is an everyday occurrence in many countries, here such an event stirs up quite the commotion. It was a very sad day indeed and several lives were lost in the name of mindless destruction.

On a lighter note, I'm quite looking forward to hitting the road again soon, in this part of the world the opportunities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment