Thursday, August 7, 2014

Back in the land of "Normal"

It's now been well over two months that I've been back in the United States after another interesting run in the eastern hemisphere. Last time it was a journey into a post disaster zone with a predetermined goal to see what I could do to make a difference following the devastating effects of Super Typhoon Hayan. For me it was the prefect undertaking; to venture at the last minute to a country I knew little about in order to get off the couch and try to help people less fortunate than myself find solutions to their crises.

I didn't know what to expect (except I envisioned myself running through a survival situation, plucking children out from under the rubble and such...). Of course, that image was far from reality, but I was lucky enough that the one organization I was accepted by was All Hands Volunteers, who not only were willing to do the dirty work that many other aid groups avoid, but were also a hell of a lot of fun to work for. After less than a month of the most rewarding work of my life, I was ready to get back out there any way I could.

The second trip to the East was slightly less exciting, crewing for a 76 year old boat owner from Georgia who needed his yacht delivered back to the states. I could go into details but I will refrain to prevent you from destroying your computer in sheer disgust. In any case I either had a position on a yacht that was likely to meet Davy Jones at the bottom of the sea, or I would have to decide to take a big leap of faith and try my hand at experiencing being homeless in Asia. After 9 days, a near fatal run in with a fishing vessel, and many other shipboard disasters the decision was made for me.

Of course, I needed to figure out how to survive in such an alien and fascinating part of the world with hardly a dime to my name. First I posted up with the Buddhists to practice the art of Vipassana for 10 days. Ten very-long-and-challenging- days I must say. But I learned a lot and like to think that ultimately it helped me to grow in some ways rather than to become totally whack in the head.


The following months had a lot of sleeping in the open, a lot of eating groundscored rice, and a lot of busking in the streets. After a week long stint as the only foreigner at the Democratic Reform Movement in Bangkok, eventually I made enough money playing in the streets to buy a ticket to Australia, where I hoped my prospects would be better...but that's for the next story.

Coming soon to a blog near you.


No comments:

Post a Comment