Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Yucatan, Belize and Guatemala

This week I've cleared into two new countries, bringing my total to 25...officially 1/8th of the way to my goal of 200! Only 175 to go!

I spent far too long in Cancun, a town which was a bit too much of a tourist trap for my tastes, especially after 17 days in Mexico City, which is truly one of those places which is an explosion of sensory overload every where your look. I'm not one to be drawn to cities, so I expected to only spend two or three days there, but 17 days after I arrived I realized I'd have to leave if I wanted to see any other parts of the country. 

Clearing in to Mexico, by the way, was an experience in itself. I am no stranger to corrupt customs agents (they have stopped me so many times over the years I personally know many of them along the US/Canadian border), but I was surprised to be pushed into a separate room and interrogated upon my entry to Mexico. It's usually a very easy place to clear in to. Perhaps it has something to do with the orange devil's policies towards Mexico, and the common assumption around the world that everyone in the USA is a supporter of Trump.

Aaaaaanyways, I spent two weeks in Cancun, mostly working on my writing projects and my thus far largely unsucsessful campaign at drumming up sponsorship funds, and then took a series of buses to Belize.

San Ignacio was a neat little town in the jungle, where I spent some time chilling by the river and then had a great time enjoying a few of the far too cheap happy hour rum and punches with my new friends from Canada and Ohio. Once I learned that you could buy a fifth of quality Belizean rum for less than $5 I realized I needed to leave the country quickly, so I took a bus to the Guatemalan border, and a collectivo (a van) to Flores.

Flores is a beautiful town on an island on a huge lake and the kind of place where I feel right at home, finally being next to a beautiful body of water, with a nearly endless expanse of jungle and exciting Mayan ruins to explore. I plan to be here for a few days and then head on down to Guatemala City. Here's a few pics:










No comments:

Post a Comment